I received a really unexpected, yet lovely surprise from a fellow (awesome) photo blogger, MilkshakesInSpring! She nominated for for two Blogger Awards – thanks a ton!! I am incredibly appreciative 🙂
So now, I am supposed to reveal 7 interesting facts about myself.
1. I’ve always wanted to be able to play an instrument, but I’ve never stuck with lessons long enough to really learn anything. My last attempt was trying to teach myself how to play the ukulele last summer. I think I like the idea of starting a (fake) band more than I actually want to master anything. My partner and I started our own ukulele-duo band (lovingly called “The Vagisils”), though we have never actually written or played any songs. I did design and make band t-shirts though!
2. I cut my own hair for many years (and still do sometimes). I get really nervous when I walk into a hair salon (which is rare). In the past 15 years, I have been my natural hair colour for only a year or so. My favourite hairstyle? When I was 21: Jet black, cropped super short (with even shorter bangs), and flipped out, a la Amelie Poulain (Still one of my favourite films and I still have a crush on Audrey Tautou for it) – see comparison:
3. I have been learning (and using) ASL and about Deaf Culture for 4 years now. It’s one of the most beautiful and fascinating languages.
4. I love 50’s Housewife style dresses (I am especially a sucker for polka dot ones). I am also a feminist. For Halloween one year, I combined them and dressed up as a 50’s Housewife feminist. I carried around a copy of Virginia Woolf’s “A Room of One’s Own” in my apron pocket.
5. I was the only left-handed person I knew growing up (except for my dad). I was ostracised in gym class because of it (I despised gym class anyway). During the last 8 years or so though, I’ve met so many fellow left-handed folks and it’s very comforting.
6. I love having impromptu dance parties to 90’s pop and dance music in my kitchen. It’s even better with friends. It’s been far too long since this has happened!
7. My friend Steve and I spontaneously decided that we wanted to travel to Iceland last year. We booked the flight right away. It was one of the most incredible experiences. Volcanoes! Glaciers! Geo-thermal hotspots! We drove around the entire island, staying overnight at various farmhouses. We sat on the very edge of a huge canyon, with the raw power of Dettifoss waterfall crashing down beside us and a double rainbow towering in the mist above. We drove through the mountains, feeling like we could reach out and touch the clouds. We picked up bergy bits at the Glacial Lagoon. We ate a ton of convenience store junk food because the cost of food is absurd there. Ahem.
Next, here are 15 mega-inspiring and beautiful wordpress blogs that I am passing on the love to:
C.B. Wentworth (A gorgeous and inspiring writer and creator)
Bossy Femme (My fabulous friend, with lots of sassy femme attitude and hot fashion)
A l’allure garconniere (another fantastic friend, fearless feminist, artist & fashionista)
Craves Adventure (Creative travel musings!)
Photo Nature Blog (Stunning photographer)
Heartwork (artist and creative spirit with an amazing sense of community)
Love Out Loud (So inspiring, on being your authentic self
Travel Destination Bucketlist (Adventure and travel!)
12 Novels in 12 Months (totally admirable and exciting journey)
On the Homefront (life and writing)
Notes from Near and Far (Incredible exploration of life and nature)
Ali Does it Herself (Crafty DIYer)
Minimalist Living (Living the Simple Life)
Views from Clarendon Heights (More photography!)
Free to be Courageous (Courageous words and soulful self-exploration)
The rules for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award and One Lovely Blog Award are:
*Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post.
*Share 7 things about yourself
*Nominate 15 bloggers you admire
*Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they’ve been nominated.
What are some of YOUR favourite blogs?
Love and thanks xo.